The most common tree maintenance procedure is pruning. Tree pruning in Central Coast removes unwanted branches from a tree. Landscape trees need more care, unlike forest trees. It is necessary to maintain the structural integrity and aesthetics of the trees; that’s why landscape trees require a higher level of care. Apart from that, it is also essential to understand tree biology to do pruning properly. However, if not done correctly, it can damage or shorten the tree’s life. Similarly, it is also detrimental to trees’ appearance and healthy growth.
Purpose of Tree Pruning:
There are three categories related to the purpose of tree pruning. They are as follows.
- Reducing Risk and Inconvenience to the General Public:
- It is essential to clear the roads by removing the branches of the trees for the safety of the people.
- Protecting pedestrians and properties from twigs/branches falling from the tree. However, twigs/branches, once detected, need removal to prevent any further damage.
- One should maintain the road lighting condition. For instance, one must remove the branches of trees blocking street lamps.
- Maintaining the Health and Structure of Trees:
- One must remove the dead or insect-carrying twigs and branches to maintain trees. In this way, one can control the invasion of pests and diseases.
- By removing overcrowded leaves, it allows more light and air.
- Pruning trees can also reduce the tree’s weight and minimize the chance of damage under strong wind.
- Improving the Trees Appearance:
- Maintaining the trees in their most desirable form and structure is essential.
- Through pruning, one can improve the appearance of the tree.
- One must prune the unwanted branches to improve aesthetics.
4 Essential Methods of Tree Pruning:
There are many ways to improve the shape and health of the tree. The primary goal is to create a tree with good air circulation, light, strength, and attractive qualities. However, there are four popular tree pruning methods on the Central Coast, and all of them involve the crown of the tree. The tree’s crown is quite vital as it produces leaves for photosynthesis. Most importantly, without a solid and healthy crown, the rest of the tree will weaken and damage over time.
The following are the four methods of tree pruning.
- Crown Thinning:
Crown thinning is the most popular tree pruning method for mature trees. It helps in increasing sunlight penetration and air circulation. To remove the overall density of the tree, thinning the crown is the method that includes trimming the live branches of the tree. However, the ultimate goal is not to change the size and shape of the tree. Therefore, the thinning is consistent throughout the tree. Most importantly. One must remove 10 to 20 percent of the tree branches only from the edge of the canopy.
- Crown Raising:
Another popular method is crown raising which lifts the bottom of the tree limb. It is best to clear the view or for traffic and buildings. Moreover, this method takes a lot of time as removing too many lower branches together can result in a weak tree. Hence, it is best to remove only a few limbs less than four inches in diameter.
- Crown Reduction:
If the trees are older and mature, crown reduction is the best method to apply in pruning a tree. It not only encourages new growth but also strengthens the tree. However, this method removes a tree branch from a growing lateral branch. Then, this will become part of a new tree crown when the spring season begins. It is a gentler alternative to tree topping. In short, we can say just like crown thinning reduce limbs and foliage, crown reduction removes old growth and encourages new one.
- Crown Cleaning:
When trimming a tree, removing dead and broken branches is crown cleaning. It is part of crown thinning, raising, and reduction. Apart from that, one can do this on any day. Crown cleaning helps strengthen the overall tree. Moreover, it also prevents any future damage to both the tree and any property in the surrounding. Similarly, it also increases the safety of your landscape.
Safety Measures of Tree Pruning:
Everybody must adopt the below safety measures for tree pruning on the Central Coast.
- Try to avoid tree pruning on windy, humid, and rainy days.
- It is necessary to deploy an adequate workforce to maintain the traffic flow.
- Use appropriate tools like pole saws, tubular saws, small chainsaws, ladders, ropes, long pruners, etc.
- Always bring an emergency first-aid kit with you when pruning the trees.
Disclaimer: This is a generic Information & post; content about the services can be changed from time to time as per your requirements and contract. To get the latest and updated information, contact us today or visit our website.